Improve air quality
Facts from World Health Organisation and Office of United Nations Human Rights
Air pollution kills more people every year than wars, and with increased urbanisation the phenomena will increase - (predicted that 7 billion people will be city dwellers by the end of the century).
- 7 million premature deaths every year linked to outdoor pollution in 2012
- 90% of the world’s population are at risk from air pollution
- 600 000 children die prematurely every year from polluted air
- Air pollution plays a significant role in cardiovascular illness and related deaths
- Small airborne Particulates (2.5 to 10 micro-meters) carried in the air are closely related to increased rates of lung cancer
- Outdoor air pollution has been observed as a factor increasing cancer of the urinary tract and bladder
- Nitrogen Dioxide and Sulphur Dioxide are causes of inflammation associated with asthma, bronchitis, and impaired pulmonary function
- Ozone (at ground level) - a breakdown product of Nitrogen Dioxide - the vehicle pollutant - causes asthma and impaired lung function
Green Facades, Walls, and Roofs Reduce Air Pollution by….
Why Green Facades and Roofs?
- Plant leaves and vegetation trap atmospheric particulates reducing airborne levels by 10-20%
- Reduce low level Ozone
- Plants absorb Nitrogen Oxide and Sulphur dioxide